Monday 5 December 2011

Moonlight Shadow

I heard a song once on Dutch television as a kid. It was sung by a lady and on that song she also played the flute, which lent the whole thing an ambient feel. Moreover, the performance was shot at Efteling.

Now, every kid in Holland worth his liquorice has at least heard of the theme park Efteling. It's a place of wonderment where merrymaking is to be had; it's a place where fairy tales come to live. It is quite a magical place. I thus forever came to associate the song with wonderment and enchantment, though I had no idea what the song was about, which was sung in English and of which the only word I could catch was "shadow".

It was only recently that I heard the song for a second time – after a lifetime has passed – thanks to Google and Youtube. Turns out the song came out in 1983 and was written by Mike Oldfield and was originally sung by Maggie Reilly, of whom both I had never heard of. The song is titled quite poetically "Moonlight Shadow".

I could locate the original clip with Reilly but not the one I saw as a kid. I suppose I could also look up the lyrics to the song but I've deliberately chosen not to: I want the song to mean whatever I make it to be and in so doing make it all mine.

Here then "Moonlight Shadow":

No comments:

Post a Comment