Monday 8 August 2011

So I saw 'Transformers: Dark of the Moon' (in 3D)

A few years back, during summertime, a shopping mall in Jakarta featured a flying trapeze act from Russia. When the performers made their entrance at the centre of the mall's atrium and underneath the safety net it was quite the spectacle and as they climbed up and took their posts, all eyes followed their every move.

The first couple of manoeuvres had my attention but when the supposedly highlight of the set proved more of the same (a triple as opposed to a single somersault) I found myself lowering my expectations though I could still appreciate the innocent quality of it all – at the end of the day, these people are just trying to show you and yours a good-time.

They were aware of this, of course, that you and yours have seen it before in some way, shape or form. Therefore, like the BBC television series Top Gear, they had to end on a bombshell. Which they did.

Suspended upside down from a bar, the lead flyer let himself pull up all the way to the ceiling. From where I stood (third floor) I could see crew members with walkie-talkies operating the pulley. But before I knew what was going on – blink and miss it – he let go and dive-bombed onto the safety net. Whatever your thoughts were before, you're definitely impressed now.

Transformers: Dark of the Moon is that human dive-bomber.

(Running time: 157 minutes)

No comments:

Post a Comment