Sunday 28 August 2011

My top-3 all-time favourite chow

And they are, in no particular order:

1) Hamburgers
As a kid, during weekend outings with my folks to Amsterdam the highlight would be a stop at McDonald's for a Happy Meal consisting of a hamburger, fries, and a soft drink all served up in a UFO. The mayonnaise they served was out of this world and made a perfect match with the fries, but the star was the hamburger. Even to this day I prefer the hamburger (beef patty, pickles, onions, ketchup, mustard, golden bun) over any other burgers at McDonald's (e.g. the cheeseburger).

2) Spaghetti
As a kid, before a soccer match on Saturdays, I would have spaghetti to boost my performance on the pitch. We used ketchup back then, but we know better now. Now we use olive oil and canned tomatoes and, if we have it, a splash of red wine. I like minced beef as opposed to meatballs in my spaghetti, which I don't brown but add directly into the sauce to save time (thanks for the tip, Chef Michael Smith).

3) Sate Ayam Madura
Madurese chicken satay. I have to be very specific now: it has to be chicken, it has to be Madurese, it has to be served with peanut sauce (as opposed to soy sauce). They had satay in the Netherlands but it was only after I got to Indonesia that I got exposed to and could fully appreciate the true art of satay making. I prefer regular white rice to rice rolls to go with my satay along with a bowl of goat soup on the side (but only if the good satay man has it available, of course).

Honourable mention:

Beef Rendang
Home-made and prepared with a spice plan so magnificent I rechristened the dish 'Star Wars Episode VII'.

No comments:

Post a Comment