Friday 1 June 2012

Marco van Basten best of

I just thought that the time is right to finally place Marco van Basten's two best goals on a single page.

The first one, and his all-time best, is the bicycle kick goal he made in 1986 as an Ajax player against FC Den Bosch. As a kid I watched the goal live on television and was blown away. Other kids were too because at soccer training in the week after everybody was just begging our trainers to teach us how to do the bicycle kick. The trainers just laughed it off and grumbled something in the vein of, no, they won't teach us how to do the bicycle kick, that's not what you and I are here for, that's just something you have to figure out for yourself. In my mind, the response only made Marco van Basten even more awesome and even more of an enigma.


The second goal is the volley against the USSR that won the Dutch its first and so far its only European Championship title. That was in 1988 and I missed the entire event as I'd just moved to a new country and was trying to adjust and settle. As such, its impact and importance was lost on me. To me, the assist is equally as impressive as the volley itself, actually.

No comments:

Post a Comment